Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Working in my apothecary

Today finds me in my home apothecary. I started by making the Muscle Injury Ointment recipe.
GEDC0964
It was nice to be able to go to my herbal oil cabinet and see that I had made, this last season, from either wild crafted or home grown herbs, the three oils I would need. I had also, previously poured some of our own melted beeswax into little molds that each end up being the perfect amount for this particular recipe, 1 tablespoon.
GEDC0963
So I melted the beeswax and then added the three oils, in the given amounts, into my little cast iron pan.
GEDC0965
After the melted beeswax and the 3 oils were mixed together well, it was time to remove the pan from the heat and let it cool down. Then a small whisk was used on the mixture and lavendar essential oil was added and it was re-whisked and put into containers and labeled.
The next recipe I made was one for both a sunscreen and a burn ointment. This recipe calls for using only one oil. I was happy to learn I had infused the right herb in the right oil, for this recipe, also last year!This recipe, was made using shea butter instead of beeswax. The same method as above was used. I melted the shea butter, added the oil, cooled and whipped with lavendar essential oil.
GEDC0968
GEDC0970
GEDC0971
I ended up using 3 tablespoons of the shea butter, to get the consistency I wanted, and putting the pan in the freezer for a few minutes to hurry up the setting up process before I whipped it.
GEDC0972
This is my herbal first aid kit, with the additions of the two new ointments and a thermometer.
GEDC0980
In order to complete some of the recipes and  I started 6 new tincture extractions, .Chamomile, Fennel, Burdock, Yellow dock, Catnip and Elderflower. Again, from herbs I either grew or wild crafted last season:)
GEDC0973
When these tinctures are finished I will be making some more recipes and bottling some of them as is, to include in the kit. This is a work in progress, so stayed tuned for more additions to the kit:)
In the meantime, I am slowly adding more books. The ethno-botanical books are just lovely and I am so thrilled to have them
GEDC0979
Very happy to have received Maude Grieve’s, A Modern Herbal. I refer to the online site constantly, so excited to have it in book form:)
GEDC0977
Well, that is what is happening at Comfrey Cottages today! Big herbal and honey hugs to all who visit!

12 comments:

Rowan said...

You seem to be really enjoying this course - did you have much herbal and botanical knowledge before you started? It's the kind of thing I think I'd enjoy too. Your herbal first aid kit is looking very impressive.

Comfrey Cottages said...

I have been growing some herbs for around 6 years, started reading everything I could get my hands on and growing others and learning to wildcraft some in my area, before i started this class. I have found it invaluable to be learning in a more layering step by step manner, Rowan. Heather is going to be opening enrollment on the class soon. I love it:) I am glad you are enjoying my sharing of these lessons:) xx

Pogostemon said...

Oh you really are having such a good time on this wonderful course.
Love the pictures too.
xxx

Comfrey Cottages said...

I really do Lorraine! It brings out my inner otter! lol Wish they would have taught this as a course in school! :0 xx

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are enjoying yourself so much, Leslie.
I love my M. Grieve's Volumes. I have used them so much over the years.
Your oils are such beautiful, rich colors. Nice work.

I am excited that my yard has reached the three-year mark and I can start really harvesting what I am growing.

Comfrey Cottages said...

Thanks Stephany! I was forever looking at Grieve's online site so am grateful to have the book:)
Yea, for the three year mark! That is so nice:) xx

Rita M said...

There happens a lot, nice work Leslie. Beatiful books :)

Love & hugs to you my friend :)
xxxx

Comfrey Cottages said...

thank you Rita! I love you tooxxxx

Deb from Peterman Brook Herb Farm said...

Leslie, where did you get that sweet mini cast iron pan?

Comfrey Cottages said...

Deb, I picked this one up at the BassPro shop in Springfield, Mo. Lodge has it on their website, although shipping...:) I adore it and am going to get a second one someday:)

Jane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
modern farming methods said...

Very nice collection!