Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rose Petal Jam

Some rose bushes are starting to bloom! Seems very, very early! Rose is one of my herbs I am studying in depth with my Springfield Sanctuary Apprenticeship, and as I have stated before, I am going to be sharing lots of recipes. Here is one I will be making as soon as I have enough lovely rose petals:) I will show you pictures when I do!
4 cups rose petals
1 1/4 cups water
juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons rose water
1 cup white sugar
Slowly simmer the rose petals in water for 15 minutes. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil, stirring continuously until the sugar dissolves. Cook steadily for 15- 20 minutes, until the jam starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and stirin the rose water. Pour into sterile jelly glasses and seal. (The Herbal Connection Collection, Maureen Rogers and Patricia Sulick)
An alternative recipe  is this one, from a delightful book I am reading titled Rose Petal Jam Recipes and Stories from a Summer in Poland, by Beata Zatorska and Simon Target
Such a simple recipe to just use a mortar and pound the rose petals and sugar together:) Time consuming, yes, but nice! Make sure and choose the most fragrant roses you can find, and cut the white off. You can stack several petals together before cutting to save time.
rose petal jam
Herbal and Honey Hugs to all who visit Comfrey Cottages xx

12 comments:

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe and book! You know me always looking for a new jam recipe and another book! Our rose bushes in general have just exploded in growth! It has been amazing. Nothing budding or close to blooming yet. xxoo Nancy

AnkeB said...

Hello gorgeous :)
I have an awful lot of dried rose petals I would love to do something with. They have an amazing fragrance, but other than cosmetics I am not sure how to use them.

Do you think I could adapt some of these recipes to work with dried?

Do you make your own rose water?

*hugs*

Comfrey Cottages said...

You are welcome Nancy! xxx
As long as your dried rose petals are still fragrant, by all means use them in these recipes, Anke! I have made my own rose water before, yes! It takes a lot of roses, but easy to do. When I make more this year, I will post step by step instructions:) Have you done it, because if you haven't I can give you a quick run down on the technique. Hugs and love to you!

Rowan said...

What a gorgeous photo on the front of the book, I must see whether it's available in the UK. Have you come across the book @Rose Recipes From Olden Times' by Eleanour Sinclair Rohde? It was published in the 1930s I think and is full of recipes from past centuries in their original form so not always easy to follow. Interesting to read though.

Comfrey Cottages said...

I agree that photo is simply gorgeous of the book cover! I do have Rose Recipes from Olden Times, Rowan! Yes, I want to try to re-create a few of those also, or at least as close as I can! :) xx

Leanne said...

does the book have a recipe for rose hips? It's nearly time to prune back roses over here

Love leanne

Mo said...

I read about Rose Petal Jam on a forum last year but never got round to making any. How does it taste?

Danielle said...

Oh that sounds so heavenly! I've seen the book you mentioned before and if the beautiful cover wasn't enough to enrapture me than the name surely was!! I will have to try your recipe - though there is no sign of rose blooms yet here.

XOXO
D

Rita M said...

This sounds delicious Leslie, want to try this. But just like Nancy's garden, due the bad and cold weather nothing budding or close to blooming yet.

Big hugs XXXX
Rita

Comfrey Cottages said...

Thanks ladies! Mo the jelly is sweet and floral:) Hard to describe other than that..:) Leanne, I have just made you a rose hip blog post and will publish it tonight:) big hugs to all of you! thanks for visiting! xxx

Lynn Senick said...

I cannot wait to make this! I have many pink roses at this time.I am also going to follow this wonderful blog.

Comfrey Cottages said...

Glad to meet you Lynn! Enjoy your jam xxxx