Friday, May 13, 2011

Our Wedding/ Garden Arbor

My husband built this arbor for our wedding, 8 years ago. After the wedding, we moved it to our gardens. It was sorely in need of a spruce up this spring! I had managed to repaint it and clean the lattice since then, but not in the last couple years.

GEDC2855

GEDC2859

We have been so busy getting the vegetable garden started at my nephews, that my home gardens are behind and I must get to it!

A couple of years ago, I transplanted violets between the pavers around our little pond. Our pigeons decided to munch quite a few, for some odd reason, last fall, so the side with the valerian, spiderwort, and honeysuckle bush looks bare to me!

GEDC2857

See the maple seeds everywhere? We had a big wind yesterday, and it looked like it was snowing these seeds yesterday:)

The marshmallow and the edible daylilies, and cattails need thinned, so will be starting new beds with them elsewhere. This whole pond area is due for a good cleaning, thinning and transplanting.

GEDC2858

In the background, you can see the lemon balm is luxuriant!

The waterfall is built from rocks we gathered on vacations. Many of them from our trip to the Black Hills and Yellowstone

GEDC2860

The pots of nettles and chickweed are growing well.

GEDC2861

The black cohosh is about to overtake the angelica, so it needs thinned and transplanted elsewhere also. Hoping to actually harvest my angelica seeds to share with my friend Kristine this year. I was going to send her some last year, and before the flower head could ripen, a limb came down and broke it off! :(

GEDC2864

Hugs to all who visit Comfrey Cottages xx

 

9 comments:

Anke said...

Your husband built that arbor? He did a fantastic job! Your garden looks so pretty and everything around your pond looks very lush. How do you use the black cohosh? I've read it is supposed to help with hot flashes and it might be something I could add to my garden.

Comfrey Cottages said...

Yes Anke, one of the uses of black cohosh is as an herbal helper for hot flashes. I used it extensively during menopause:) I would gladly send you a plant! Let me know! Yes hubby built arbor for us to stand under while exchanging wedding vows:) xx

Anke said...

Leslie, I would love a cutting of your black cohosh. Just let me know and I'll pay for the postage. How do you use the black cohosh? Did you make it into a tea, infusion?

Comfrey Cottages said...

don't worry about the postage Anke. Those little mailer boxes they have now don't cost but a couple bucks. It would be my pleasure to share with you:) I will include instructions for planting and usage for you!! I will get them in the mail this week for you xx

Anke said...

Oh thank you so much Leslie!! Have a wonderful weekend!

Comfrey Cottages said...

you too Anke:)

*Ulrike* said...

What a beautiful arbor! Many memories with it. Hubby and I were married under an arbor that my dad built for me. When we sold the house we left it behind since it had roses growing on it. Later I saw where they tore everything down. Last time I'll ever do something like that!

Shona Martinez said...

I admire your husband for building this arbor for your wedding day; it’s a sweet gesture of love! This white arbor does not only serve as an ornament for your garden, but also a reminder of the love you have for each other. It is a romantic thing that while enjoying the beautiful scenery in your garden, there is a white arbor that will always remind you of a significant moment in your life --- your wedding day!

Comfrey Cottages said...

Thank you Shona xx
Oh that is too bad, Ulrike!! Next time take the rose and the arbor. So sad to loose your wedding arbor like that!! xxx