Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Just Peachy!

GEDC4994

Remember when we picked all these peaches? (btw, that is Mama Peppermint) Well besides canning a lot of peaches, we also used the peels to start a peach vinegar and used some of them to make a spicy peach vinegar ala Mrs. Reppert! The spicy peach recipe  was inspired by the book Mrs. Reppert’s Twelve Month Herbal and I received permission to share it with you all

GEDC5968

Insert enough small size peaches to fill up a wide mouthed-jar. Then add several whole cinnamon sticks, 1/4 cup of whole cloves, and 1/2 cup of sugar. Completely cover with white vinegar ( I used homemade apple cider vinegar) and set in the sun ( I left mine on countertop). I started mine at the end of August and just strained it out. What a lovely rich color and the taste is heavenly!

GEDC5969

I can’t wait to try mine as a lovely Peach Honeygar, one of the ways Mrs. Reppert suggested to use it. Other ways being a dollop in marinades,  in sauces, in yogurt for a dressing for fresh fruit compotes, added to coleslaw, and to enhance gravies.

The peaches themselves will be used as garnishes

GEDC5974

The peach peel vinegar was made in another jar

GEDC5970 

I just filled this jar with the peach peels, covered the peels with spring water, added a couple big spoons of our bees honey, and about 1/2 cup of our homemade vinegar with a nice piece of the mother with it.  A piece of cheesecloth is used to cover it, so air can still get in. I also started this at the end of August and just got around to straining it. ( I had been checking on it, periodically to make sure the fluid level was still good in it)

GEDC5971

GEDC5972

Such a beautiful and lovely, light tasting peachy vinegar!

For those of you unfamiliar with the term honeygar, it is about 1 tablespoon of raw unfiltered honey,  and one tablespoon of vinegar, in a glass of water that is just warm enough to make the honey mixable without being so hot it destroys the benefits of the honey. You can either sip it while warm or serve it cold. Very delicious and very good for you.

Big herbal and honey hugs to all who visit Comfrey Cottages xx

11 comments:

Anke said...

Peach vinegar sounds delicious! My one attempt at making pineapple vinegar was an epic fail, but I would love to give it another try. I think I just need to do a bit more research first...

Rowan said...

The peach vinegar and honey sounds good - my problem would be getting enough peaches as our climate isn't the kind that grows peaches other than in a glasshouse or maybe a very sheltered walled garden in the south of England. Here in the north it's a touch too chilly for them.

Anonymous said...

Ummm peachy honeygar! I can almost smell that spicy peach vinegar too. Delightful. :) xx

Anonymous said...

Yum-O! I'm coming to your house! Heh. Hugs, Ilene

Anonymous said...

Oh peach vinegar sounds too divine for words! I canned a few jars of vanilla peaches but I haven't opened them yet - I'm making myself wait though it is so hard! Next year, I'll have to remember the peach skin vinegar..err honeygar :)

D

Rita M said...

It sounds delicious Leslie.
The honeygar, for what it is good for?

Comfrey Cottages said...

Rowan, i am surprised it is too chilly for peach trees where you live. our winters are extremely cold and long. perhaps they need the heat of our summers, and your summer is cooler? In winter, our temperatures are often below zero and for extended times also.. maybe your winters are more severe than i knew!xx
yes ladies it is delicate and flavorfull:) I believe you would love it also. xx
rita, honeygar has both the benefits of vinegar and honey for your health. Amongst other benefits of vitamins, minerals etc. it can help arthritis,fight infection, regulate blood pressure, act as a detoxifier, and tastes good:) xx

Rita M said...

Thanks for the explanation Leslie!
xxx

*Ulrike* said...

Is this the same as pickled peaches that I just picked up at the veggie stand today? Yours sounds delicious!
You always come up with something wonderful Leslie!
Take Care,
Ulrike

Allisonian said...

Thank you for sharing. I love making my own ciders, but have not made much. This information aspires me and also helps me with some of the details that I needed. Thank you again and happy holidays. Cheers, Allison

Comfrey Cottages said...

Allison, that is wonderful you are inspired to try your own vinegar making! Yea! Good luck with it and have a very happy holiday season:) Sorry it took me so long to answer you.. I got so busy with things with the granchildren this last month, I forgot to check my comments! xxx