Monday, October 10, 2011

Nakey Trees

My little man, Dylan, has started Little Learners preschool program, which lasts 2 1/2 each morning during the week. We are getting in to quite the ritual of going to the woods near his school, when I pick him up. Luckily, we never get lost as he carries his compass with him and consults it often

GEDC5690

He likes to also carry his whistle, and walkie talkie headset, just in case you know

We find all sorts of interesting things each time we take our woods walk. Walnuts full of worms, hedgeballs and buckeyes….

We like to pack a picnic and sit and enjoy the peace and quiet of the leaves drifting down all around us making a blanket for us to sit on

Sometimes Dylan’s doggie Zoey gets to come with us!

As we were watching the leaves the other day, Dylan looked at a tree quite bare of leaves, got an impish look on his face, and declared “Nakey trees!”:) I love the way he is being able to identify some of the leaves these days. And he asks constantly for the names of ones he doesn’t know. I got a real thrill the other day when he found a white aster, and looked at me as if to answer his own question when he said/asked, “this isn’t chickweed is it Grandma?” No sweetheart, that is an aster:) You see Dylan has his own chickweed garden at home and he loves to happily munch it all the time

With Dylan starting school I have come to realize that there will be a lot more of this from now on…he leading me to follow

These are the same woods Eric and I recently found Black Trumpet mushrooms for the first time! We actually found quite a few different sorts that day

 

7 comments:

Sherri B. said...

That's one smart little guy to carry his compass. - I didn't know you could eat chickweed, learn something new everyday!

Anke said...

I love how interested he is in nature! He is so lucky to have you in his life teaching him all about it! Wish I lived closer, so you could teach me all about it,too. :-)

Rowan said...

What a lovely little boy and great to see that he is already interested in the natural world. My 4 year old grandson came up to me at the weekend and said ' Treasure!' and showed me a handful of ripe brown acorns. Treasure indeed.

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a wonderful way to spend ones childhood... with walks , compasses and worms. Sigh... I wish my children were still little and living at home.

Rita M said...

So many beautiful pictures. Dylan is so intrested in nature, that is so wonderful to see.What a lucky boy, with a grandma who is teaching him all this.
Thanks for sharing Leslie.

Big hugs XXXX

Rita M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Comfrey Cottages said...

Hi Sherri:) Yup chickweed is totally edible and very good for you too:) Thanks for visiting hon xx
I wish you lived closer too Anke! You could teach me all the crafty things you do and all the marvelous food you make! I drool whenever I read your food posts xxxx
Oh Rowan, that is so very wonderful, and yes, treasure indeed!!! xxx
Oh Gayle, these are my grandchildren! My children are now 33, 32 and 31! I am so blessed they all live in the same town as I do and I can be a full time granny/nanny to their children:) I love your blog, btw:) xxx
Hi my darling Rita:) Wish you were here to woods walk with us:) xxxx