Tuesday, February 12, 2013

From Jugs to Buckets! And some Antiquing

Well the maple sap flow has started! I am graduating from storing it in milk jugs
GEDC8960
GEDC8959
To five gallon buckets!
GEDC8961
My four year old grandson, Dylan, was thrilled to help dump the container jugs off the trees today. He wanted to make sure we weren’t hurting the trees, and when I reassured him, he got so excited! He said it was the best day ever!
Hubby and I took a little trip antiquing Sunday. Good thing we did, because average time for the sap to flow is 6 weeks.. looks like I will be pretty tied up for awhile. It depends on the sugar content of the sap, but on average, from what I have read, about 50 gallons of sap is needed to make 1 gallon of syrup! I have 20 gallons in 2 days. It is flowing faster and faster today. Dylan and I emptied all the tree containers about 2:00 and when I got home at 5:00, I had to dump them again. I think I will get the fire started tomorrow and start the first round of evaporation.
I will show you a couple of my “lust” items I saw at the antique stores… This gorgeous yellow table and chairs. I adore the happy feeling of yellow
GEDC8942
This fabulous old paper machete  bee
GEDC8938
This great old picture of a bear robbing a honey tree with her cubs anxiously waiting
GEDC8940
GEDC8941
And this over the top patio table and chairs! Which I would so repaint in some great colors!
GEDC8934
More about antiquing later! I have to rush to check my jugs!
Herbal and Honey Hugs to all who visit Comfrey Cottages xx

7 comments:

Sherri B. said...

How exciting to collect your own maple and such a wonderful experience to share with your grandson...I'm wanting that yellow table too! xo

Comfrey Cottages said...

It is simply wonderful isn't it, Sherri? Thanks for visiting honey xx

Anke said...

You are going to be a very busy bee. :-) So glad your first foray into making maple syrup has been going well so far.

wildcraft diva said...

Wow!! Amazing! Get the pancakes on...looks like you've got it licked.

Rita M said...

Dylan is so happy when he can help his grandma.
I love those patio table and chairs. They would fit in my little garden as well :)

Rita M said...

Dylan is so happy when he can help his grandma.
I love those patio table and chairs. They would fit in my little garden as well :)

Comfrey Cottages said...

Thanks for visiting, sis <3 I loved those table and chairs too:) xxx